shopping cart
Bella Fiore, custom floral design in Victoria BC

Photography Love

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I LOVE photography. Let me rephrase that, I love good photography. I love photography almost as much as I love floral design or cheesecake. Uh huh. It's true. To say I am passionate about photography is an understatement. I am not a photographer. I do play with my camera, but by no means am I an expert. I do believe I have a good eye though, and can spot a good photograph when I see it. In my profession as a floral designer who specializes in weddings and events, I see a lot of engagement and wedding shoots. I also use photography as an inspiration for my own work, so I am constantly looking at photographs whether they be fashion, editorial, or wedding related.

I want to plainly state that I do not know personally the photographer of this image. I have never met him, nor worked with him. I also want to plainly state I do not know this couple. I have never met them. I did not design the flowers for their wedding. I do not receive any sort of monetary or other type of compensation for loving this photo. I just love it and that is all.

Recently, I was perusing some engagement photographs in an online contest that a bridal magazine was holding. There were many, many images, and as I was clicking through them I was .... "ho hum".... Don't get me wrong, there were some "nice" images there, but nothing got me excited, it was pretty much all the same old stuff except for a few exceptions. Then BOOM. I clicked on this photo by Brian Van Wyk. "Yesssssss!!!" I said. Then I clicked "Like". Then I instantly went to his website link. That is when angels starting singing, because I learned that he was a young photographer living in my hometown of Victoria, B.C.!!! I am delighted to show love to someone local and who is so young. I cannot wait to see how he evolves as a photographer, but most of all, I want to say, " Congratulations Brian!! You won the contest! I knew you would!!"

I love this photo because it is authentic. It instantly gives you an impression. You believe this photo. You believe that this couple would walk arm and arm topless down a remote beach. Sure, they are a beautiful couple, but they are natural. No perfectly applied make-up and hair, no Armani suit. Just them. Authentic.

I love that this photo is a piece of art. Iconographic. It's the kind of picture the couple would perhaps put up on their living room or bedroom wall, blown up, poster size, in a black matte frame, and people would admire it, and then exclaim, " Wait. That's you!!!" When they are old, and are grandparents, I imagine their teen-aged grandchildren saying, " Look at how hot Grandma and Grandpa were!!" or the little ones giggling, " They aren't wearing any shirts!" But every one of their children, or grandchildren will want a copy of this picture because it is iconographic. ( I hope they don't hate me, for I am making them have children, and so soon!!)

I love that in this photo they are not afraid to show their sensuality. This couple fits together. One of my pet peeves in staged shoots is that models are chosen that do not look like they belong together, on this planet or any other....absolutely, no chemistry....ill fitted, poorly cast. Ick. I blame my theater background for my complete intolerance of this. Nothing drives me more nuts, well, except maybe having the subject pour something out of a bottle in a photograph and there is nothing in the bottle!!! I am details driven. I admit it. Please forgive me. I am not meaning to offend anyone, but to inform.

I realize that not all couples are going to feel comfortable removing their shirts for a photographer, or rolling around in the waves. I understand. I believe it is the role of the photographer to find out what the " essence" is of each client, and portray their own individual story through images. It is my belief that this is what makes art, as opposed to putting out the same sorts of images that everyone else is doing. I believe it is the photographers job, as it is the floral designers job, or any creative professional to find your own unique style within your chosen art form and make it shine.

I love this photo because it shines.

Thank-you Brian for allowing me to share this image and comment on it....especially, when you had no idea what I was going to say! I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Keep on shining!




Labels: , , , , , , , ,

posted by Bella Fiore @ 1:58 AM
terms & conditions | return & refund policy | privacy policy | deliveries & fees | rentals & faq | links | site map